Braces can create a beautiful smile, but a retainer is needed in order to maintain it.
Kids’ retainers are mostly used as the last step of orthodontic treatment. After braces have been removed, teeth can move back toward their original position without retainers to help maintain the position of straightened teeth.
What are kids’ retainers?
Retainers are an orthodontic device that’s made of wires and plastic in addition to clasps or springs. They come in several different types, which can be custom-made to fit your child’s unique needs. After your child’s braces are off, his or her teeth will need to settle into the jawbone and soft tissue that help hold them in place, and a retainer will help ensure this.
Retainers use a constant gentle force in a carefully controlled direction with the goal of slowly moving teeth to the correct position and helping to maintain the desired position once it’s been reached.
What types of kids’ retainers are there?
At Park View Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics, we offer the following types of retainers, depending on your child’s individual needs:
- Fixed retainers – also called bonded or permanent retainers, these are attached to the backside of the front teeth.
- Removable retainers – including Hawley retainers (wires and clasps in a plastic body covering the roof of your mouth or lying along the backside of your lower teeth) and Essix clear retainers (slim, clear retainers that look similar to Invisalign).
- Spring alignment retainers – a particular type of Hawley retainer that has springs.
What are the advantages of kids’ retainers?
Kids can receive numerous benefits from wearing retainers, such as:
- Keeping teeth straight following other orthodontic treatments
- Improving facial and smile appearance
- Helping to retain proper bite alignment
- Improving tongue placement to help with speech impediments
- Boosting confidence and self-esteem
- Closing a space between teeth or to move just one tooth
Where can I find retainers for kids in NYC?
Pediatric orthodontist Dr. David Zarabi at Park View Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics in NYC offers several different types of retainers to ensure that your child’s teeth stay in their proper place.
During an initial visit, Dr. Zarabi, will be able to determine if your child is a good candidate for a retainer. He’ll also be able to decide which type of retainer is the most appropriate for your child’s particular needs.
The process usually begins with a digital dental scan. These can be completed in-office using our state-of-the-art iTero scanner and will ensure that your child’s retainer will be custom-designed with the proper fit.
These scans are then sent to the laboratory, where your child’s retainer will be created utilizing this information. Once the retainer is made, your child will come into the office to ensure that the device fits correctly and is functioning correctly.
You and your child will also learn more about when the retainer should be worn as well as how to properly clean and care for it. You child may, for example, need to wear it during the day for a period of time and then only at night. Or they may need to wear it only at night, but for a longer period of time. We’ll make sure the instructions are tailored to your child’s needs and that you completely understand what to do.
To learn more about retainers and our pediatric orthodontist treatment options, call our Park View Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics office in NYC at (212) 879-6518, or request an appointment by filling out the form on this page