Kids' Teeth Cleaning in NYC
Dental cleanings are recommended once every six months for all patients of Park View Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics in NYC. Regular cleanings help keep gums healthy and teeth cavity-free. At our Upper East Side pediatric dentistry, we have been keeping children’s teeth healthy and bright since 1986 with preventive dental care. Learn more below, or request an appointment online.
What’s involved during my child’s dental cleaning?
Pediatric dental cleanings are performed by our experienced and caring dental hygienists and involve:
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a film that forms on the teeth from the combination of bacteria, food debris, and saliva. Plaque can produce toxins that inflame the gums, causing gingivitis (an early stage of gum disease).
- Removal of calculus (tartar): When left on the teeth for an extended period of time, plaque hardens into a material called calculus, also known as tartar. Calculus may form above or below the gum line and requires removal with specialized dental instruments.
- Teeth polishing: Every cleaning appointment concludes with teeth polishing to remove stains and plaque that may not be removed during regular tooth brushing.
What types of problems can regular dental cleanings for kids help avoid?
Regular pediatric dental cleanings can help children avoid common dental problems including:
- Tooth decay (dental caries)
- Gum disease
- Tooth loss
- Bone damage
- Bad breath (halitosis) caused by plaque buildup
- Stained teeth
Every kid’s dental cleaning appointment at Park View Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics will also involve a comprehensive oral exam from one of our pediatric dentists. This will help to identify any tooth decay, early signs of gum disease and oral cancer. When necessary, diagnostic digital X-rays may also be taken in-office in order to ensure a thorough examination.
If you need to schedule a dental cleaning for your child, call our office at (212) 879-6518 or request an appointment at Park View Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics by filling out the form on this page.