Is Invisalign for Children?
Invisalign is a popular orthodontic treatment that’s used as an alternative to traditional braces. It straightens teeth using a series of removable plastic aligners, and for many people, including children, it offers several strong advantages over traditional braces.
What is Invisalign for children?
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment that uses a series of clear, custom-made, BPA-free plastic aligners to straighten your child’s teeth.
They’re made of smooth and virtually invisible plastic, so, unlike traditional braces, there are no metal brackets to attach and no wires to tighten. The aligners gradually and gently shift teeth into the proper position, based on the exact movements that your orthodontist plans out.
The treatment plan outlines the number of Invisalign aligners that will be needed and how long each will be used. New custom aligners are created over the treatment period based on the position of the teeth until the desired results have been reached.
What are the advantages of Invisalign for children?
Invisalign is appropriate for adults as well, but it’s often ideal for children, who may struggle with the additional requirements and limitations of traditional braces. In addition, they may want to avoid the appearance of metal braces.
Invisalign offers numerous benefits such as:
- Clear aligners that are virtually invisible
- Minimal interference with everyday life
- Involves no brackets or wires, which can cause irritation and cuts
- Comfortable to wear
- Can be removed for easy cleaning
- Can be removed before brushing and flossing, making regular at-home dental care easier and more effective. This also helps reduce the risk of developing cavities or gum disease, since it’s difficult to brush around regular braces.
- No restrictions on what your child can eat, since aligners are removed before meals
- No concerns about food getting stuck in the teeth or braces
- Fewer orthodontic appointments are required compared to traditional braces
- iTero digital dental scans for aligners can be completed quickly and conveniently in office
- Computer demonstrations can be used to demonstrate what teeth will look like at each stage
What does Invisalign for children involve at Park View Pediatric Dentistry & Orthopedics?
After an initial consultation with Dr. David Zarabi, he will determine whether your child is a good candidate for Invisalign treatment. While it’s not recommended in every case, it often helps correct a variety of common issues, included crowded or widely spaced teeth or an underbite, overbite, or crossbite.
Dr. Zarabi will thoroughly discuss his recommendation with you and answer any questions you and your child may have about your treatment options.
If your child is a good candidate for aligners and you’d like to choose this option, the process will start with digital dental scans. Dr. Zarabi sends these scans to the laboratory, where custom aligners will be created specifically for your child’s mouth and dental needs.
Once the aligners are made, your child will receive a new set of aligners once every few weeks. With each new set, his or her teeth will be gently moved into a straighter position until treatment is complete.
Your child’s progress will be monitored with occasional checkups to ensure that the treatment plan is proceeding correctly and that no adjustments to the plan are needed. The treatment length will vary depending on each child’s unique needs.
Request an appointment to learn more about Invisalign by calling our office at 212-879-6518 or by filling out the form on this page.