Good oral health is essential for a healthy life. Not only does it make it easier to chew and speak, but it also helps keep the rest of your body healthy as well. Unfortunately, many people don’t take care of their teeth and gums properly, which can lead to a number of health problems down the road. Knowing how care for your smile can help you in reducing your risk of issues in the future. The team at Park View Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics in New York, NY is here to discuss five top ways to maintain healthy teeth and gums that are free from periodontal disease and tooth decay!
Five ways to maintain oral health:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste. Brush with a soft-bristled tooth brush that is replaced regularly to ensure it working efficiently.
- Floss once a day. Flossing after every meal is the most desirable solution, though patients can floss once a day to remove food particles from between teeth that might not be removed with brushing alone.
- See your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings. Preventative care is essential in protecting the smile from disease and decay. It is highly recommended that all patients visit their dentist at least twice a year for their recall appointments.
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks. Eating right is essential in keeping the body–and the mouth-healthy! Reduce consumption of sugary foods, and keep breads and other starches to a minimum.
- Use a mouth guard if you participate in contact sports. Protecting the teeth from damage during high-impact or contact sports is the best way to keep the smile beautiful. Knocked out and chipped teeth can be expensive to repair or replace.
Call Park View Pediatric Dentistry today!
Maintaining healthy teeth and gums is essential to having overall good health. By following these five tips, you can keep your smile healthy and free from problems that can be expensive and result in irreversible damage. For more information, please visit the practice or call at (212) 879-6518 to request an appointment. Our team is here to provide services to patients in New York, NY and the surrounding cities.